Home Forums Hunting Firearms 30-06 Elk Hunting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am going to apply for elk tags this coming January.  I currently own a 30-06. I know this gun will work great for elk. My question is this: would a 300 win mag be a better choice or not enough of a difference to justify buying one? I know it has more velocity better energy at impact etc. I love the 30-06 just wondering if the purchase or trade to a 300 win mag is worth it?

Participant

Unless you just want to buy a new gun stick with the 30-06.  You said you love the gun, it will do the job on elk.  If you shoot it well why change.  There would be a big difference in recoil for very little gain in performance.

Participant

I would stick with the 30-06 for your elk hunt. I shoot a 300 Winn Mag and love it but if you are comfortable with the 06 that is what I would use.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

IMHO, 30-06 will take down an Elk, no problem, as long as the shooter does his job with accurate shot placement.

I would suggest you look for 30-06 ammo that is designed for larger game.  Something like Hornady Outfitter GMX 165gr or 180gr and make sure you shoot it ahead of time to confirm that your rifle likes that ammo.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

WhipWhip
    Participant

Lots elk have been killed with 06 and 270. If you shoot it well and limit yourself to shots out to 300 yards it will be great. If your thinking about 400 yards and further they’re better options. But you pay for the extra range with lots of recoil and typically a heavier rifle.

Whip

Participant

I have shot 26 elk with my 30 06 and 25 went home with me.  165 grain Nosler Partition has performed well at nearly 2900 feet per second.  In fact everything I have shot I have used the weapon, and the only failures I have is one elk, and a grizzly, which I blame on bullet failure, having switched to a180 solid copper blue tip of brand X.  I recovered two from the moose I shot, which were fragmented and did  not perform as well as the Nosler.  The guide said the hair puffed at the ideal spot, but we never recovered the bear.  My African guide said he would rather have a hunter with a familiar rifle, than one with a new magnum.  Shoot what you shoot well, use premium ammo,  spend your money on other things you need for the trip.  Doc

Participant

hey, somewhere, I lost a lot of posts,  (not to be confused with the lost post).  Having been a member for over a decade,  I know I was over 2000.  My picture in the sidebar has disappeared as well.  I spect that is  what I get from being absent for so long.  Doc

WhipWhip
    Participant

Larry good to see you back. I had similar experience with all cooper Barnes triple shock  on a bull elk and a cow elk due to suspected poor performance. Killed another bull elk with the same bullets but the first shot went to pieces on contact the final bullet penetrated. I sent the bullet company a picture and they responded by telling me it was excessive velocity or I hit something before the bull. I fixed the issue by changing back to lead bullets. I will suggest you use a quality bullet with the 06. I have killed a lot of elk with my 270 and 130gr Nolser Solid base and 130gr Nolser Partition. Shot placement is way more important than caliber.

Whip

Participant

Thank you all for responding. I know the 30-06 is a great rifle for big game in north america. I do love the gun and you all answered my question. Very good advice and I am so looking forward to going to Wyoming this time next year. Thank you for the ammo advice. Not going to lie I probably would have bought 180 grains of something cheap. Thank you all again.

Participant

Hoping the trip turns into an every year thing.

Participant

I would stick on 30-06 for the hunt. And you?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.