Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 3 point disc/harrow recommendation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys, is there a 3 point disc/harrow that you have experience with or would recommend for a compact tractor? I have a Kubota B2310 4wd with a 3-point and am looking at a 4.5-5.5′ wide disc. There are several on the market, and the King Cutter models look pretty stout and are within the power ratings for my tractor. I will be using the disc to break up ground for a 1-1.5 acre food plot this year.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326122_200326122?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Farm%20%2B%20Acreage%20%3E%203-Point%20Category%201%20Implements&utm_campaign=King%20Kutter&utm_content=256089&gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5Xqa20qJNUK1UwFHwfBXj3PwVfGm64LDU4gj1_X6rVNORoCJL_w_wcB

I would likely go with a double notched configuration to break up the ground I am tackling.

Thoughts?

papadudepapadude
    Participant

I have a King Kutter disc I use with my ford tractor, It’s a good disc. but I must warn you DO NOT MAKE SHARP TURNS WITH IT DOWN. I prefer my small JD wheel disc. for smaller plots.

Participant

Thank you for the head’s up and positive feedback on the King Kutter. It lists the weight shipped at 400 pounds, and my biggest concern is whether i can put enough down pressure to the ground to bust up old pasture. I’m afraid this first season I may need to borrow the neighbor’s 4020 and Allis disc.

Have you used your KK on compacted or fallow ground?

Participant

I just found a subsoiler/ripper that I could hook up to my 3 point for $200. Depending on the model I could get up to 14″ of soil penetration. While this would require additional passes on the ground, it would likely enable me to take the next step with a compact disc like the KK.

Thoughts?

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Don’t know your HP on the tractor or how wide the sub soiler but they take a pretty good horse to pull them.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

papadudepapadude
    Participant

I plant 11 plots, most are 1 acre or less and I started by first mowing the area as short as possible then I sprayed with RU, next I used an old 2 bottom plow with my Ford Jubilee tractor to turn over the soil and last step before planting was to disc. Seems like a lot of work but I have some very good plots so it’s worth the effort.

Participant

Thank you for the feedback guys, and as a head’s up my Kubota is a compact utility tractor with 24 HP weighing around 1500 pounds not including the loader.

Papa- The area I am putting the plot into was an old pasture but has not been grazed in at least 10 years. I like the idea of plowing one time and then disking to level the ground. A 2 bottom plow would cut my time in half as the subsoilers only have one tine. I thought about just trying to disc it, but I don’t think i could get the penetration I need. The area is remote and the gate holes are too small for much larger a tractor or a fold type disc. I will keep my eyes open at farm sales or look to borrow a plow from a neighbor.

Does anybody have a recommendation on where to buy food plot seed? The mix I am looking for is 30lbs winter rye, 3lbs of appin turnips, and 3lbs of dwarf essex rape.

Participant

X2 papadude

except the spraying part. your total vegetation killer should be applied on the leaves or grasses of what your spraying. the spray is absorbed through its leaves or grasses. if you mow that off then its not going to absorb, you see. Unless you meant mow it short then let is grow back a little bit and spray it.

also if you plow deep enough(over 6-8″) then you kill all the dormant weed roots in the ground and don’t have to spray at all. I go this route. Going to need a plow for sure if that’s the route you’re going to take. just have to control air borne weeds through out the season is all. no stopping that.

Participant

Look for a 3 point tiller, I got rid of my plow because it made such a rough mess of virgin ground, it would turn up big old slabs and it was next to impossible to get smothed back out. I have a 32 HP tractor and use a 5′ tiller, you can do everything in one pass, you will not break any speed records but you will have a great seed bed with the one pass, I have used it on ground that has not been tilled in over 20 years and have had great plots!

Participant

I’d recommend Welter Seed Company in Welter Iowa. http://welterseed.com

They ship to your house via Speedee Delivery so freight isn’t bad and their prices are reasonable. Order online or give them a call to discuss the mix you need. They also sell food plot mixes.

I’ve got one of their 25 pound bags of food plot mix and a sack of turnip seed I’d give someone if they want to pick it up in Davenport, Iowa. My food plot plans fell through and it is sitting in my basement and I’d rather see someone use it as go to waste.

Kent

Participant

Thank you again for the recommendations. A buddy has a tiller that I may be able to borrow, and he has used it for the same purpose with success, albeit not without issues. It is actually at the welding shop for the second or third time getting repaired and being braced. This may be an option, but he was a little leary after his experience. I cannot afford to buy a new one, so we will see.

Kent- Please check your email.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.