Home Forums Hunting Firearms 243 load development.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I decided I’d better get some load development done with my newly built 243. I think I’m going to like this rifle……

Yesterdays 5 shot test groups at 100 yards with 85 grain HPBT Sierra GameKings using Varget………

The 37.5 grain group was stupid small if you take out the one shot. 4 of the 5 shots made one big ragged hole more or less.

Used new Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers and Varget. Loads were seated 25 thousandths off the lands and .0015-.002 neck tension.

It helped that shooting conditions were near perfect yesterday early afternoon. Barely a breath of wind while shooting.

Participant

Very, very nice groups! Do you use any kind of sandbag or anything of that nature when shooting? What kind of routine do you follow when making a shot (i.e., breathing, trigger control, etc.)? What is the neck tension and how do you measure it?

On a related note did you ever post a conclusion to your 1,000 yard shot quest? I know you mentioned you were successful, but I don’t recall reading a write-up on it. On yet another related note do you ever do load development for your hunting handguns?

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Very, very nice groups! Do you use any kind of sandbag or anything of that nature when shooting? What kind of routine do you follow when making a shot (i.e., breathing, trigger control, etc.)? What is the neck tension and how do you measure it?

On a related note did you ever post a conclusion to your 1,000 yard shot quest? I know you mentioned you were successful, but I don’t recall reading a write-up on it. On yet another related note do you ever do load development for your hunting handguns?

Yes, I use a heavy Protektor rear shooting bag. I try and make sure I have the same tension on the front bipod shot to shot. It takes me a while to settle in on each shot sometimes when I’m shooting during load development. Breath control is huge, trigger control is huge. I do the same routine with my breath control. I have to have just the right pressure from my cheek resting on the stock to keep from getting the heart beat bump in the crosshairs as well.

Yes I completed my 1000 yard challenge late last Summer. Me and a couple guys finally shot out to 1000 yards. I was using my 308 of course with 155gr Sierra Palma Match bullets. I wish I had done a write up from that day, but never got around to it. It was very satisfying to score 3 hits out of 5 shots on a 16″ target at 1000 yards. :mrgreen:

Yes I did some load development for my handguns as well. I don’t get into the ultra fine tuning with handguns though.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Oops, almost forgot your neck tension question. I try to get neck tension right in that .0015-.002 area for my precision loads. I measure the outside diameter of the neck of the brass before and after I load them so that’s how I get that neck tension measurement. You have to use specific bushings for different brass as each brand of brass has it’s own unique brass thickness.

Participant

Nice shooting! Those Sierra’s are good performers and grouped the best in my rifle. I’ve not tried Varget though, I am using IMR 4350.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: Skeeno

Nice shooting! Those Sierra’s are good performers and grouped the best in my rifle. I’ve not tried Varget though, I am using IMR 4350.

I wanted to try H4350 to be honest but there was none to be had anywhere locally I could find. 😥

Participant

Quote by: topH20terror

Yes, I use a heavy Protektor rear shooting bag. I try and make sure I have the same tension on the front bipod shot to shot. It takes me a while to settle in on each shot sometimes when I’m shooting during load development. Breath control is huge, trigger control is huge. I do the same routine with my breath control. I have to have just the right pressure from my cheek resting on the stock to keep from getting the heart beat bump in the crosshairs as well.

From what I’ve read most people recommend taking the shot when you are halfway through the process of exhaling a breath of air. Is that what you typically practice? I’ve also heard of some people doing it at the bottom of our breathing cycle, when you have fully exhaled a breath of air. Just wondering what you find works better.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Quote by: topH20terror

From what I’ve read most people recommend taking the shot when you are halfway through the process of exhaling a breath of air. Is that what you typically practice? I’ve also heard of some people doing it at the bottom of our breathing cycle, when you have fully exhaled a breath of air. Just wondering what you find works better.

Personally I take the shot after I exhale and I have a short pause before I inhale again and that’s when I want to break the shot. That’s just the routine I’ve personally settled into for shooting, I know others do it differently.

Participant

nice shooting! went to the range the other day and my ave groups i could cover with a nickel. with my howa 243 using hornady superformance varmint 58 gr. at 100 yd. was hoping for a little better but i’m gonna try on a calmer day.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.