Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting .223 vs. .243?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What rifle brand would you recommend? I’m thinking Remington.

Participant

Quote by: jrbert

What rifle brand would you recommend? I’m thinking Remington.

What is the budget? Will you be packing or using a bench? Are you strictly looking at bolt actions?

Participant

If you’re going with a bolt gun, go to one of the big box stores and handle a few from the major manufacturers. Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Browning, Ruger, and Savage all make fantastic bolt-action rifles, and if you watch the sales closely you can get a quality gun for $600 or less. If it were me, and I was going for a bolt-action .223, one of my requirements would be a detachable magazine that accepts AR mags.

I’ve owned a Ruger M77 in .243 and a Savage 110 in .25-06. IME the Savage was a far more accurate and less fussy gun. It was a no-frills entry-level rifle, with medium weight barrel, but it shot lights out sub-moa out of the box with factory ammo and a $150 Bushnell scope. It was the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, and I kick myself in the a$$ for selling it.

Good luck and have fun!

ihuntducksalot72ihuntducksalot72
    Participant

If you’re just going to be hunting called in Iowa coyotes in typical cover with the gun and nothing else, a 223 works great. I like a fast twist AR platform so I can reload and shoot heavy bullets. I’ve had great results with 60-70 grain 223 reloads.

If you think you might do some spot and stalking, or do drives/hunts with friends, especially in open areas you may like the 243. A little extra speed and thump can make a big difference and the 243 really shines in these instances. I’ve used both, and back when I used to spot and stalk a lot, and hunt coyotes with a group of friends the 243 was the ticket. Now that I primarily call, the 223 is about all I ever use.

Participant

Whichever one I get I’ll probably have my daughter (when she’s 11) use to hunt deer, too.

Is there much recoil difference between .223 and .243?

Participant

Whichever one I get I’ll probably have my daughter (when she’s 11) use to hunt deer, too.

A REAL long time ago (late ’80’s) when I hunted Missouri during rifle season, I think the weapon had to be at least .240. So you might check the states you hope to hunt in for their minimal caliber.

I had a .223 once and I’ve owned two .243’s. My vote is for the .243. Never noticed much recoil difference.

Participant

Hands down 243 for me!

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

With this info now I am going to STRONGLY suggest you go with a 243 then.

A 243 is such a versatile caliber with a wide variety of factory ammo offerings and an unlimited combination of things to use if you reload. Good luck.

Participant

Quote by: topH20terror

With this info now I am going to STRONGLY suggest you go with a 243 then.

A 243 is such a versatile caliber with a wide variety of factory ammo offerings and an unlimited combination of things to use if you reload. Good luck.

Yes, .243 is much better at dual purpose.

Participant

Strictly coyote gun= 22-250
    Coyote gun+deer= 243
    Coyote gun+plinking= 223

Participant

Thank you.

Whats a good grain for coyote? For deer?

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Thank you.

Whats a good grain for coyote? For deer?

70-75-80 grain for yotes – 95-100-105 grain for deer

Participant

I don’t have a 243 so I can’t help on that caliber but for 223 and 22-250 I use 50-55 gr. for coyotes. I don’t know about deer but someone else can help with that. I like the Hornady V-MAX ammo, seems to be a good combination of performance and affordability, plus I do my own reloading and it seems I have better luck finding Hornady products. I’d recommend using a ballistic tip or hollow point no matter which round you choose to buy. Or even a soft point, something that won’t ricochet after a pass through or a miss like a full metal jacket would.

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Quote by: dblg88

Strictly coyote gun= 22-250
    Coyote gun+deer= 243
    Coyote gun+plinking= 223

Now that’s some simple solid advice I can 100% agree with. B)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.