Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 2016 deer season and lessons learned

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: maxx

I want to get better at filming. I filmed 95% of my hunts but I basically just get the kill shot on video. Cool to have but I would like to just do a little more.

Relax and enjoy it more. It is funny I love it so much but then I put a lot of pressure on myself to kill good deer. I don’t want to take away the fun.

Here’s my suggestion on the filming. Don’t worry at all about the kill shots. It’s the other moments that you will look back at and enjoy more than dead deer.

I lost my brother last March. He and I have hunted together all our lives and this was my first deer season without him. Some of you may know what I’m going through, but if you don’t, I will tell you this… SOOOO much of what we all gripe about and preach to each other on here is laughable. Yes, in the moment it seems important, but really, what I take away with me this season is that it is not the deer we see or the deer we harvest or the deer we lost, but the people we share these spcial times with. We all love hunting, be it deer, turkeys, ducks, pheasants, whatever. That is evident by what we all post in here. We all share the passion. It’s an awesome thing. My advice to you all is to share more times with your buddies or your families in that passion. I know, I know…. some of you say you need to get out of the house… get away from the wife and kids. I get it. I truly do. I love my quiet times in the stand alone. But in the end if you have no one to share this all with, then you don’t have much. I never really knew how much my brother and I texted quick jokes and deer stories or pics of deer etc. until this year. This year it was gone. He was gone. It was not the same.

Bringing it back to the filming. My brother and I took the camera out for a few hunts years ago. We messed around alot and found it hard to keep serious as brothers would do. Anyway we would spoof tv shows with the goto phrases and personalities and whatnot. Just stupid stuff. Zero kills. Very little deer footage for that matter. Usuaully just us laughing at each other trying to hold a staright face on camera. I tell you all this… that stupid footage means more to me than any deer I have on my wall… more than any fish I have ever caught… more than any hunt I have been on. I can remember the very first deer I ever saw with a gun in my hand. I remember the conditions, the location, the outcome. I’m sure many of you do too. I forgot some of the stupid stuff my brother shared as we laughed on the video I dug up, but I have that to look back on and laugh again.

Film the moments you think don’t matter. The deer are a bonus.

Participant

Quote by: mhock

Quote by: maxx

I want to get better at filming. I filmed 95% of my hunts but I basically just get the kill shot on video. Cool to have but I would like to just do a little more.

Relax and enjoy it more. It is funny I love it so much but then I put a lot of pressure on myself to kill good deer. I don’t want to take away the fun.

Here’s my suggestion on the filming. Don’t worry at all about the kill shots. It’s the other moments that you will look back at and enjoy more than dead deer.

I lost my brother last March. He and I have hunted together all our lives and this was my first deer season without him. Some of you may know what I’m going through, but if you don’t, I will tell you this… SOOOO much of what we all gripe about and preach to each other on here is laughable. Yes, in the moment it seems important, but really, what I take away with me this season is that it is not the deer we see or the deer we harvest or the deer we lost, but the people we share these spcial times with. We all love hunting, be it deer, turkeys, ducks, pheasants, whatever. That is evident by what we all post in here. We all share the passion. It’s an awesome thing. My advice to you all is to share more times with your buddies or your families in that passion. I know, I know…. some of you say you need to get out of the house… get away from the wife and kids. I get it. I truly do. I love my quiet times in the stand alone. But in the end if you have no one to share this all with, then you don’t have much. I never really knew how much my brother and I texted quick jokes and deer stories or pics of deer etc. until this year. This year it was gone. He was gone. It was not the same.

Bringing it back to the filming. My brother and I took the camera out for a few hunts years ago. We messed around alot and found it hard to keep serious as brothers would do. Anyway we would spoof tv shows with the goto phrases and personalities and whatnot. Just stupid stuff. Zero kills. Very little deer footage for that matter. Usuaully just us laughing at each other trying to hold a staright face on camera. I tell you all this… that stupid footage means more to me than any deer I have on my wall… more than any fish I have ever caught… more than any hunt I have been on. I can remember the very first deer I ever saw with a gun in my hand. I remember the conditions, the location, the outcome. I’m sure many of you do too. I forgot some of the stupid stuff my brother shared as we laughed on the video I dug up, but I have that to look back on and laugh again.

Film the moments you think don’t matter. The deer are a bonus.

Sorry to hear about your brother.

Participant

Bumping this one back up.

MHock, thank you for sharing buddy. I have two older brothers that have been my hunting mentors and pals for our entire lives. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Participant

One of the things that I’ve learned is that it is better to hunt smarter rather than just hunting harder. While it is true that you can’t get a deer while sitting on the couch, it is better to be more efficient with your time. This year I’ve seen and gotten just as many deer as I have in years past with probably less than half the effort. Doing a bit of scouting, placing trail cameras to figure out deer movement patterns, and then checking weather and wind conditions in order to determine dates/times that have the highest probability of yielding deer movement in a specific location pays pretty good dividends.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

Nice post Hock. Sorry about your loss.

What I learned this year:

1. I was out of shape.
    2. Don’t give up on a hit deer.
    3. The more work you put into it, the more reward you get.

Participant

Don’t bow hunt till Halloween weekend. I did this on the farm I hunt and it paid off. Shot my biggest buck to date on November 10. Also didn’t run camera’s there.

Take my daughter shooting more so hopefully she’s more motivated to hunt late season. She’s 17 and now seems to have other priorities like friends..

During shotgun 2 and especially late muzzleloader I hunt with my brother that started deer hunting 4 years ago. The time I got to spend with was priceless. We hunted every day from 12-30 till 1-10. I sat with him on our last hunt and got to watch him shoot his first buck. A 2.5 year old 7 point. We each shot 4 deer during the late season. My total for all seasons was 8 deer out 11 tags. Hunted 5 different counties.
    Even though I was setup 600 yards to east of him when I shot a doe that my shot may spook the bucks he had in front of him. That happened 1-6.

On the Guthrie farm we need to purchase at least one tripod cause of the rolling hills and lack of good climbing trees.

Have my garage set up better for deer processing.

Participant

Don’t break your ankle the last week of September, crutches and then a boot till the second week of November pretty well ruins your rut hunts.

Make sure to take a couple practice shots now and then during season or at least draw your bow back to make sure everything is kosher with your bow, so when you do hobble out to a blind and a nice 140″ 10 point stops in front of you at 15 yards, you don’t draw back and realize your peep sight is spun and you can’t see your sights. 😆

Quit putting off building a blind on the running gear you have and make a nice cozy and mobile place to hunt with the kids during 2nd shotgun and late muzzy seasons.

Move all my stands a little farther off the trails so when the leaves are off I’m less noticeable.

Participant

Quote by: Tin+Roof

Don’t break your ankle the last week of September, crutches and then a boot till the second week of November pretty well ruins your rut hunts.

Make sure to take a couple practice shots now and then during season or at least draw your bow back to make sure everything is kosher with your bow, so when you do hobble out to a blind and a nice 140″ 10 point stops in front of you at 15 yards, you don’t draw back and realize your peep sight is spun and you can’t see your sights. 😆

Quit putting off building a blind on the running gear you have and make a nice cozy and mobile place to hunt with the kids during 2nd shotgun and late muzzy seasons.

Move all my stands a little farther off the trails so when the leaves are off I’m less noticeable.

Bummer way to bring in the season!

Participant

1) Prep pack and equipment well in advance of the night before you go out for the first hunt.

2) Stock up on Thermocell supplies BEFORE season starts (see #1)

3) Actually put trail cams out rather than saying you will.

4) check out boots and replace if needed (see #1)

5) Finish the wagon blind that has been sitting in the shop for 3 yrs (+/-)

6) Cut way back on Casey’s pizza

Participant

Quote by: iaredneck72

1) Prep pack and equipment well in advance of the night before you go out for the first hunt.

Number 6 sounds like a story worth telling.

Participant

Quote by: BuckBuster12

Quote by: iaredneck72

Number 6 sounds like a story worth telling.

#6 refers to hunting clothes that ‘shrunk’ from last year, slower walks to the tree stand, mid-morning breaks from an all-day sit and last, but not least, emergency climbs down the tree stand to take care of business as a result of said mid-morning breaks. (always pack an extra roll of TP)

Participant

Quote by: BrownItsDown

Less can produce more. Picking the right days and locations to hunt beat hunting every day in the same locations, hands down.

Don’t aim for the heart when a double lung shot opportunity is available. Shoulder bones can magically block an arrow.

Don’t start hunting until the week b4 Halloween.

Take the kids more and spend less time solo hunting.

Spend time in the off season getting rid of coyotes.

Passing on does b4 rut can pay off during and after rut.

Study aerial pics and topographical maps more.

Praying for deer pays off!!!

Spot on!!!

Participant

I will be getting a pack or 2 of Nockturnals. Shot 2 deer this fall and about lost both arrows. Searched for 1o minutes and finally found one of them. One arrow can get spendy (arrow, fletchings, broadhead, etc.). What colors seem to shine brightest?

Participant

Quote by: booner_or_bust

I will be getting a pack or 2 of Nockturnals. Shot 2 deer this fall and about lost both arrows. Searched for 1o minutes and finally found one of them. One arrow can get spendy (arrow, fletchings, broadhead, etc.). What colors seem to shine brightest?

They are all about the same and it is personal preference. I have shot pink, green, red and blue.

I think blue is my favorite for some reason.

Participant

Was it Nockturnal or some other company that just came out with a much brighter lighted nock than what the previous standard was? I saw video of this new nock vs a competitor 20 yards downrange on target and it looked way brighter.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.