Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing 2012 Bowfishing Tournament Schedule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Alright ladies and gents, the dates are finalized for the 2012 season. Would love to see a bunch of you members make it to some of these events. You dont have to be a die hard or a pro to compete. Just plain old fun stickin some rough fish, meeting new people and enjoying the waters of Iowa. If you wish to shoot on a team but dont have one, the BAI staff and members will do our best to find a spot on a team for you. General meeting times will be 8am at the designated ramp locations unless otherwise specified. Kurt or Hogan will be posting those locations and times soon. If you have any questions, ask them here and we will do our best to answer them. This initial post is to make aware of what we have planned this summer!

Below is a detailed desctiption of the locations and dates!

May 12th, Iowa Great Lakes Tournament
    This tournament will incorporate the chain of lakes that make up the Iowa Great Lakes. This is the first time the BAI has ever hosted a tournament on these waters and those participating can expect to encounter some truly big fish. Common rough fish species encountered in these lakes are Common carp, Bigmouth buffalo, White sucker, Drum (sheepshead) and Shortnose gar. For those looking to break the state record Drum with a bow, this could be the place to do it.

June 16th, Lake Odessa Tournament
    This tournament is hosted on the waters of Lake Odessa near Wapello which connects to the Mississippi River. The Odessa event is a great numbers tournament with a chance to shoot many different species including some monster Bowfin. Common rough fish species encountered here include Common carp, Bigmouth buffalo, Carpsuckers, Redhorse, Smallmouth buffalo, Bowfin, Shortnose gar, Shad and Drum.

July 28th, Red Rock Tournament
    The Red Rock tournament is a great event because all of the proceeds from the event will be donated to the Veterans Airlift Command. This will be a Big 15 tournament meaning that instead of numbers, participants will weigh in their biggest 15 fish for the day. This tournament is especially fun because it is open to any legal means to take rough fish. This includes snagging, spearing, fishing and naturally bowfishing. One perk to this event is that it�s the only tournament in the 2012 lineup that offers participants a real chance at taking Asian carp due to their large abundance below the Red Rock Dam. Common rough fish species in this location include Common carp, Bigmouth buffalo, Smallmouth buffalo, Bighead carp, Silver carp, Shortnose gar, Drum and Grass carp.

August 11th, Saylorville Lake Tournament
    The Saylorville Lake tournament is the only event hosted this summer with a day/night split. It is also open to archers who wish to shoot Big Creek during the night split. This is a fun tournament with the opportunity to shoot loads of fish both day and night. Common rough fish species include Common carp, Bigmouth buffalo, Smallmouth buffalo, Redhorse, Carpsuckers, Shad and Drum. There is a chance at big Grass carp here but they are rarely encountered. Big buffalo are abundant here and fish exceeding 25 lbs are not uncommon with some fish topping 30 lbs.

Participant

As tournament director this year, I’d like to encourage anyone and everyone who has interest in bowfishing to attend. These tournaments are not only a good opportunity to shoot fish and win prizes but to get connected with fellow bowfishermen. If you have never attended a tournament before and have questions or would like more information feel free to PM me/ email me at [email protected]. Even if you dont have a boat to shoot from, all the tournaments are fishable from shore and often times there are open spots on boats. Keep checking the forum for more updates on the 2012 schedule.

Thanks all,
    Hogan

Participant

I’ve never done one of these tournaments but I think it would be fun. How many people do you need on your team and what’s the cost?

Participant

There are two categories to enter Numbers and Big 15. It is 35$ a category per person(25$ for Bowfishing Association of Iowa members). You can enter one or both. There is also a Big Fish sidepot for 10$. We shoot three man teams with additional free youth (under 16) shooter. You can shoot by yourself , 2 man team etc. If you cant find team mates, we usually have a few people around that we can make teams from. If you have never shot one before I would highly encourage it!

Participant

And again no tournament experience needed, we have a good group of very helpful guys this year who will get you going.

Keymaster

It will be interesting if you see your numbers “drop” at Saylorville.

They have opened it up to some commercial fisherman and they have been out there for about a year and 1/2 strait roping carp and shipping them to NY.

I might give this a try this year or at least tag along to see what this is all about. 🙂

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

One thing I did not see mentioned in this string is the fact that you do NOT need a boat to compete at any of the tournaments. Bank fishing and wading is allowed.

I thought that may be important to some that show interest but may not have a boat or access to one, or for that matter a shooting partner.

Participant

Quote by: Whisker+Seeker

They have opened it up to some commercial fisherman and they have been out there for about a year and 1/2 strait roping carp and shipping them to NY.

I might give this a try this year or at least tag along to see what this is all about. 🙂

Hopefully they save at least a few for us this year, our saylorville tournament last year was a great time! Whisker you should definitely think about coming out , we had several guys do it last year and have a blast!

Participant

Quote by: Htilley

Hopefully they save at least a few for us this year, our saylorville tournament last year was a great time! Whisker you should definitely think about coming out , we had several guys do it last year and have a blast!

I can tell you from being out there on sunday that there are plenty left!

Participant

You can hook up with me and give it a try Matt. I joined the BAI this year and will be whackin’ some for sure. You can even use my bow before you buy one just to see if it’s your cup of tea. BTW I still owe you a boat trip on the river. (haven’t forgotten) 😀 I sent you a pm.

Participant

I will for sure be at Red Rock, last year was my first bowfishing tourny and it was a blast. I’m going to try to make Saylorville to if I can get the day off work. If any of you guys are thinking about doing this for the first time, I would have to say go for it, you will have fun!

Participant

I did my first bowfishing tourney last year at saylorville. I was the only 1 man team out there and I still had a blast. Although my fiance did tag along and read a book 🙂

Participant

Good to see a bunch of guys had fun their first tournament!

I remember seeing you and your fiance with her book! That cracked me up! best way to spend “quality time” right?

Participant

I would agree 🙂 I think this year I may try to get a few teammates as my fiance had too much fun last year and said that she would prefer to consume adult beverages at home then come on a two part bowfishing extravaganza 🙂 I think if the drinking rule for non-participants were lifted she may enjoy it more..

On a side note, I took my bow out to the ville the other day…A little too cloudy it seemed like. I am not used to fishing when the water is this low…Where do people head near Des Moines when the water is like this? I had great luck at saylorville and the des moines last summer…a few 30lb fish and 1 that I believe topped 40..however my scale did not go that high… Can’t wait for the spawn!

Participant

Quote by: nosna

I did my first bowfishing tourney last year at saylorville. I was the only 1 man team out there and I still had a blast. Although my fiance did tag along and read a book 🙂

I remember seeing you there too. Nothing wrong with a 1 man show stickin some fish. I was the guy doing the filming for that tourny. We’ll have the footage of that coming up after turkey season for all of you to enjoy on Iowa Sportsman TV Online

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.