Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 2 fairly new hunters looking for a group to hunt with sunday

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

thanks bob. no offense taken…a lot of these tips is what I have heard in the past. but like scouting an area with aerial maps you don’t really know for sure till you put boots on the ground. I feel like a lot of these tips i don’t fully understand when I am in the field, but the more time I spend in a particular public area the more I learn about it and the way the deer are behaving week to week. as far as the party hunting with strangers I guess I am pretty naïve to think that someone willing to help me wouldn’t take advantage of me, and that I wouldn’t be a danger to those willing to help me. I heard a stat somewhere in the last couple weeks that basically said newer hunters are typically safer because hunter safety is required and more fresh in their memories than older hunters who either never took hunters ed because it wasn’t required or have gotten complacent in their safety practices.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: samface83

thanks bob. no offense taken…a lot of these tips is what I have heard in the past. but like scouting an area with aerial maps you don’t really know for sure till you put boots on the ground. I feel like a lot of these tips i don’t fully understand when I am in the field, but the more time I spend in a particular public area the more I learn about it and the way the deer are behaving week to week. as far as the party hunting with strangers I guess I am pretty naïve to think that someone willing to help me wouldn’t take advantage of me, and that I wouldn’t be a danger to those willing to help me. I heard a stat somewhere in the last couple weeks that basically said newer hunters are typically safer because hunter safety is required and more fresh in their memories than older hunters who either never took hunters ed because it wasn’t required or have gotten complacent in their safety practices.

It just takes time to learn. I didn’t have a close mentor to teach me. I was lucky enough to have a friend teach me how to field dress a deer and told me some basic but from there, I was on my own. I have come a long way since I first started out but still learn something every season. You will too.

In regards to hunting with complete strangers, that is your call. I personally wouldn’t do it. To each their own.

Young hunter vs. old hunter is debatable on who is safer. I don’t care how many times a person has taken hunter safety. It is all about morals, ethics, and common sense. I’ve seen plenty of young hunters that do a lot of dumb unsafe things. All hunter safety does is tell a person what the right choices and best practices are. It is up to the individual to decide to make the right choices. Unfortunately a lot of guys prioritize killing a deer over safety and ethics.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.