Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 2 fairly new hunters looking for a group to hunt with sunday

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

my nephew and I are fairly new to hunting. looking for a group. we drove deer the last 2 years with a small group bu after being unsuccessful we are thw only 2 hunting this year. willing to travel. we are both able to push but one of our guns is scoped and would make a better blocker

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Letting us know what part of Iowa you are from would help as well as what season, etc. you’re looking to hunt.

Most guys would be very hesitant to bring in unknowns into a party hunting environment, but good luck as I hope you find a place to hunt.

Participant
    Up
    Down

tommorow, live in perry but willing to travel 60-90 minutes from des moines, sat in my climber stand this am and saw a group pushing as I left and felt like I am missing out.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: samface83

tommorow, live in perry but willing to travel 60-90 minutes from des moines, sat in my climber stand this am and saw a group pushing as I left and felt like I am missing out.

Planning ahead is apparently not your strong suit.

Just keep sitting – with people pushing you may see deer come your way. You should be sitting all day with the deer stirred up like they are.

You won’t kill anything sitting at home typing on this forum.

Participant
    Up
    Down

would of sat all day, but my wife wanted to go Christmas shopping.

Participant
    Up
    Down

1st shotgun season is all of one weekend. Any reason that could not have waited until the weekend after?

Sounds like you are just looking for a hand out. The threads asking for places to hunt and fishing spots are getting really old.

Can anyone put in their own leg work anymore?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: MisterTwoForty

1st shotgun season is all of one weekend. Any reason that could not have waited until the weekend after?

Sounds like you are just looking for a hand out. The threads asking for places to hunt and fishing spots are getting really old.

Can anyone put in their own leg work anymore?

Chill out… there may in fact be guys that ARE actually willing to help a guy out and let him and his nephew join in. A longshot, yes, but it never hurts to ask. The worst someone can say is no.

Participant
    Up
    Down

spent all day last saturday and all day last sunday trying to fill a bow tag for the first time…wife was due a concession. i hunted every day of 2nd season last year and did not even get a chance to pull the trigger. thought my odds during gun 1 would be better. was looking more for mentors, I thought maybe a small group might want 2 more sets of legs to push. frankly I could care less about spots, I hunt public land almost exclusively. was offered to go to a buddys private land but declined because I wanted to shoot at least my first bow deer on my own. I knew it was a longshot to find someone at ahort notice but figured it didn’t hurt to ask. a t least my kids both got deer during youth season, if it wasnt for my nephew i wouldn’t even be hunting gun at all, 3 years ago at his graduation party he asked if I could take him deer hunting…even though I had little experience I couldn’t say no. we will be out tommorow trying our damndest, but hoping to get lucky enough that a deer happens to come our way seems futile during gun seasons.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Any thing connecting two larger tracts of timber can be a goldmine when deer are being pushed. You don’t have to be in a group to hunt deer being moved around. Just look for travel lanes and set up accordingly. Border areas can be good too, interstate highway, river, lake shore, etc. Sure a deer will cross these areas, but they will also follow an edge if possible.

Participant
    Up
    Down

thanks, clearcut powerline and creek running through shoulder high crp, I usually sit where the two meet. most people push with the wind right, so should I expect deer to be moving in the same general direction?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I hope your post finds sucess, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I would however join a local gun club, sportsmanship club, whitetail, or whatever put in volunteer hours making friends with members and see if they will take you in next year. Or you can find a girlfriend with good hunting ground!

Participant
    Up
    Down

1st season and 2nd season shotgun deer season only happens and a total of 3 weekends a year! My smoldering wife of 15yrs knows to not schedule me for anything on one of those weekend when I will be hunting depending on season that I hunt. I just informed two newlywed young men in our group how to count back from 9 and explain to them not to be tricked into anything else. I have a very good friend that left on Saturday night with borrowed pickup right in the middle of hot card game to meet his wife at hospital to give birth to last child. They are still happily married to this day. These type of women exist if you don’t have one…well…they are out there.

Participant
    Up
    Down

well seemed like another bust so we went scouting the otherside of this public area, found a grassy field up on a hill above a pond next a larger tract of woods. sat for 4 hrs and finally got to take some shots about sunset…didn’t find a blood trail near our best shot, but it was a nice feeling that we at least set ourselves up for success.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I won’t be like some on here with the insults about your wife shopping or looking for a handout. You got to learn to ignore some people on here. They may have never had anyone help them out so they refuse to help others as well, or they may just be selfish. Some have had good comments about going and joining a club and helping out and making new friends. I have done just that and sometimes hunt with a group or just by myself. Since my girls are a little older now and hunting with me I concentrate more on making sure they have a positive hunt and they are safe. I commend you on taking your nephew out even when you didn’t have a lot of experience yourself. People forget it’s the younger generation that is going to be speaking for us when we are unable to hunt. Sounds a little more like you are just a little unexperienced than anything else. Nothing wrong with hunting on your buddy’s land, especially if he hunts also. He could probably help you out more than anyone else. He may be able to help you with your setups and things like that. If he doesn’t hunt he can at least tell you where he is seeing the deer. I have still hunted with groups of 2-3 people on small parcels of land and have had good luck doing it.

Just remember anyone that allows you to hunt their land treat them and the land with the utmost respect. Being given permission to hunt private land is a privilege not a right.

Best of luck to you and your nephew!!!

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: twdenney

1st season and 2nd season shotgun deer season only happens and a total of 3 weekends a year! My smoldering wife of 15yrs knows to not schedule me for anything on one of those weekend when I will be hunting depending on season that I hunt. I just informed two newlywed young men in our group how to count back from 9 and explain to them not to be tricked into anything else. I have a very good friend that left on Saturday night with borrowed pickup right in the middle of hot card game to meet his wife at hospital to give birth to last child. They are still happily married to this day. These type of women exist if you don’t have one…well…they are out there.

5 days after the birth of my first kid, I went to N.D. on a scheduled duck hunt for a week long. Gotta set the precedence! lol

Participant
    Up
    Down

This is an interesting thread, especially with the comments as to what comes first in some people’s lives. Guess this whole compromise thing that I’ve had going on for over 20 years isn’t the way to do it. Interesting.

Up
    Down

Quote by: huntingirl

This is an interesting thread, especially with the comments as to what comes first in some people’s lives. Guess this whole compromise thing that I’ve had going on for over 20 years isn’t the way to do it. Interesting.

Agreed. While I have a very understanding and loving wife there is no doubt that I will always put the needs of my family before all other things.

Participant
    Up
    Down

what works for some don’t work for others…I knew it was time to make a concession…and for that I am rewarded today with a wife who will be fishing the YBB with me…on valentine’s day…my buddy said “what if she likes it, you won’t want to go fishing with me”, I said ” you can tag along, just might get a little akward!”

Participant
    Up
    Down

You don’t need a party to push deer for you. I’ve done both and my success rate hunting by myself just sitting or walking slow is just as good as hunting with a party. The thing about party hunting is there is no guarantee you will be the lucky one the deer run to. Seems like almost every year there are only 2-3 guys out of our group of 8 that do most of the shooting. Just the luck of the draw. Only reason we party hunt is we enjoy getting together as a group for a weekend.
    Rather than giving you a deer, Id rather teach you to hunt deer. I don’t mean any disrespect by saying this but there isn’t a chance in hell I would invite two strangers that have little to no experience, to party hunt deer with me. The 8 guys I hunt with, I know well and trust them. Not saying you are not trust worthy but there is just now way to know. If I were you, Id be cautious about anyone willing to let you join their party, too. Deer drives can be dangerous if the people involved are not on the same page and do not put safety first. Just my opinion, but Id avoid your last minute pursuit of hunting with complete strangers.
    Anyway, what you need to do is scout! The ground is pretty wet in the majority of the state right now so you should be able to see a lot of fresh tracks and get an idea of where they are walking. Hunt when deer are most active(first and last hour of daylight). Make sure you get set up way before the deer become active. Pay attention to the weather forecast. Think about wind direction and where the deer will be coming and going. You may need to have 4-5 different options of places to sit depending on the wind direction. Think about food and bedding sources when you decide where to sit. Use google maps to help point you in the right direction. Maybe take a screenshot of the areal map and post it hear. Some of us may be able to ID potential places to post up at. And as others have said, ask the land owner or neighbors around the area. If you tell them you want to get a deer for your nephew, I’m sure most will tell you what they have been seeing. Who knows, maybe you might get an offer to hunt a different parcel of land? Be patient and put in your time and I’m sure you will get a crack at something.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: huntingirl

Sometimes we don’t always make the best decisions, though! 😕

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.