Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting 17 HMR for Prairie Dogs?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sold off my 223 & 204 varmint rifles, just wondering how much success folks have had with the 17 HMR on prairie dogs?

Greg 57
    Participant
    Up
    Down

They would well out to 100′ but they don’t have the wow factor as the .223, 22-250 and such

gsgramps
    Participant
    Up
    Down

TRY a 17 wsm  faster and good to over 150 yds.  dropped yotes to almost 200 yds so far.   priced for both gun and amo almost the same.   be sure to get the heavy barrel.

savage did the round a disservice with first gun.  was crap and most blamed the round but it was the gun. i have stainless now and love it.

wmgeorge64
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Well I was looking to buy a Savage A17 the semi-auto version that seems to get decent reviews, but now thinking of a CZ in 17 HMR.  I am wondering if anyone has one to sell? I will head over to Classifieds and look.

gsgramps
    Participant
    Up
    Down

why go backwards to the hmr  try a 17  wsm before you buy.  same price.   i went out this am and shot 5 round groups that you could cover with quarter.   2600 feet p second or better !!    if your in area drop me a note and wii let you shoot mine,

wmgeorge64
    Participant
    Up
    Down

From what I have found online there are lots of Prairie Dog taken out to 125-150 yards.  I have 750 Rds of 17 HMR and that should be enough for a while.

IowaSportsmanGuy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

From what I have found online there are lots of Prairie Dog taken out to 125-150 yards. I have 750 Rds of 17 HMR and that should be enough for a while.

150yds all day long.  Push it to 200 if you know the round.

1. The Savage A17 must be cleaned more often if you are using standard HMR rounds.  The CCI A17 is a little hotter and runs a little longer.  The bolt will give you fits before practical hunting accuracy does.  Pick your rings and scope combination carefully so you can field strip the rifle without the eye piece blocking removal of the dust cover.  The extremely light recoil and self loading will allow you lightning fast follow up shots, making for high count hunts.  I pack twice as much the 17HMR as I would the 223 Rem.  No experience with that CZ.
    IowaSportsmanGuy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

why go backwards to the hmr try a 17 wsm before you buy. same price. i went out this am and shot 5 round groups that you could cover with quarter. 2600 feet p second or better !! if your in area drop me a note and wii let you shoot mine,

What length is your Bmag barrel?  Which ammunition do you use to get 2,600fps?

wmgeorge64
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I decided against the Savage A17 after seeing the reviews where it seemed about every 10 Rds or so they had a jam or misfire.  No CZs anyplace for sale new or used so have a Ruger Rimfire Target bolt action with a heavy barrel ordered from Sportsmans Warehouse.  I have gift card and get a military discount so why not get one local?  Yes its 17 HMR, my son has a 17 Hornet but ammo it not available anyplace and gee whiz its expensive!

IowaSportsmanGuy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

When the Savage A17 starts stovepiping and light striking, it is time to clean and lube it.  Usually around 450 rounds for me.  450 is enough to get me through the day so it can be cleaned at the hotel.

The Ruger American Rimfire is a solid shooter.  You might want to order a true scope mount.  The spacing on the factory rail is not uniform and limits ring positioning.

wmgeorge64
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a scope that I  mounted on my AR type HK416D 22LR and its really decent. It comes with a standard rail slots mount and I was hoping to use it.  I like it as its clear glass and easy to adjust. I usually get Leopold but will try this for a while.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.