Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 12/30 Late muzzy buck

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

CRIA1576, Congrats on your late season muzzy buck! Hope you stayed warm in this cold weather! I was talking to my dad the other day and we were wondering what it would be like to field dress a deer in this cold weather 😯

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have had mixed results with the XTP myself. Had some good blood trails but had one that didn�t bleed at all. Perfect shot but went in between the ribs. Deer went 100 yards and died zero blood got lucky and walked up on him.

I spoke too soon dangit! I said just last night ive had no issues with xtps. Well i shot a nice buck at 150 yards, seen him lunge forward like a chest shot. He ran and watched him disappear into a overgrown wetland refuge. No blood and i cant differ his tracks from all the others. Felt good about the shot and seeing him lunge. Crossing my fingers to find him tomorrow

Participant
    Up
    Down

Best of luck to you recovering your deer Bull. If he lunged ahead, I would agree that typically indicates a chest shot, and hopefully he is down in some cattails for you.

Regarding field dressing in this weather, I loaded my deer and gutted him in my machine shed at home. While I can still deadlift mature deer into the bed of my pickup, my sore back told me that I may need to invest in a crank or come along for next season. It still wasn’t very warm in my shed, but I was out of the wind at least.

Participant
    Up
    Down

If you want to get away from copper bullets check out precision rifle bullets. http://www.prbullet.com

I have been using them for 20 years.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Good thing you didn’t fall over you would of been like charlie brown, not being able to get up with all those layers lol!!!!! congrats on the nice buck

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice Buck!

Was out hunting myself for about a week, didn’t bother with the mornings and had a hard time not sweating at night by the time I got to my spot. Thinking I would prefer early muzzy after hunting from the day after Xmas til Jan 3!

Those are great bullets you are shooting! Thanks for sharing your results.

I have shot about every bullet under the sun and now shoot the Precision Rifle 240 Grain Dead Centers-My Knight likes them.

Have shot about 50 deer with a muzzy and have had overall mixed results with all bullets as far as blood goes, so I just go with the one that shoots the best and so far, so good.

The PR Dead Centers have always left me with blood til last year when I shot my deer, shot him at 225 yards and found no blood-but he only ran 20 yards. That was good enough for me.

Thanks again for the update!!

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.