Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 12/30 Late muzzy buck

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I ended the season with a pretty nice buck last night. Hit him perfect at 101 yards and he still ran 150 yards like he wasn’t even hit. Fortunately he was in the wide open, and I was able to watch him and see him go down. For a second I thought I missed! However, I heard the smack of bullet hitting bone. As usual as I’ve grown accustomed to with the muzzleloader, there wasn’t any blood to speak of until I got pretty close to him. The hit was a double-lung pass-through with a 250 grain Barnes Expander and crushed rib sabot, and the frothy pink blood froze on the hide almost immediately in the -25 wind chill.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Congrats, that is a nice one. Way to stick it out in the cold weather.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice looking buck!!! Great job getting it done in this nasty cold weather.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice buck! Were you in the stand long? Were the deer out early? Were you on a food soucre?????? DETAILS!!! 😆 😆 😆

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice buck. Way to hang in there in this cold weather.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thx guys! I was hunting a travel corridor in a stretch of CRP between a timber to the south and picked corn to the north. I was hunkered down in a terrace around 230 and the deer started milling/browsing the edge of the timber around 330. I saw this buck amongst a herd of does and decided he was mature based on body and neck size. I could tell he had a decent rack, but it was hard to see how big with the snowy/weedy backdrop.

Around 445 he decided it was time to head north, and he committed all alone at a trot. Unfortunately, he ended up coming through below me to the SW of my position rather than SE. I had my trigger stick tripod set up to shoot to the SE, up/cross wind from my set. As a result, I had to swivel my body and square up as best as I could in the opposite direction. I shoot left handed and this was a blessing as I was able to get my right knee up for a steady rest across my torso.

When he closed from 125 to 100 and was broadside, I stopped him after several mouth grunts through my fleece balaclava. I took a deep breath, let half of it out, settled the crosshairs, and squeezed like Dad taught us 35 years ago. I heard the bullet hit bone and after the smoke cleared I watched him run about 150 yards north before stumbling sideways and falling into the snow.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In those temperatures, you get a notch on your man card.

I managed a sit yesterday afternoon from 3:45 to 5:15. I thought that was long enough in those temps, and really was glad I didn’t have to deal with a dead one by the time it was getting dark!

papadudepapadude
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice buck. It pays to hang in there in this cold weather.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Great late season buck. Congrats.

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice Deer! any deer you harvested you deserved! It’s is way too frigid. I thought my hunt Thursday was cool enough..its a whole other level right now. Congrats!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice buck, got mine last night also. Mine was a really odd looking rack but it was cold enough he drew the lucky number hah. Mine was about the same distance also a double lung but je only wen t around 15 yards.TOO COLD

OldbearOldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Very nice deer. Congratulations both on the deer and toughing the weather out. I see next Saturday its suppose to get to 30* so think I’ll wait for that besides I can’t hardly walk right now and Dr it some more.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant
    Up
    Down

CRIA1576, nice late season buck! Congrats.

Oldstylelight, I about spit my drink out laughing about notching the man card! Good one.
    Seriously though, I’ve been pheasant hunting multiple times this past week, and the temps and wind chill are ok if you’re moving…I can’t imagine sitting still out there, though.

GJW

Participant
    Up
    Down

I appreciate you guys and good luck to everybody still holding a tag! Happy New Year!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Good looking buck!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Very nice deer. You are more of a man than I am. Too cold for me. 🙂 I’ll be back out later this week though. I just switched this season to those bullets. Nice to see they are knocking deer down. Hoping for better blood trails than the Hornady SSTs I used in the past.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Good luck to you Cy, and don’t expect the blood trails to be that great. Even with the massive, gaping, hollow point on these bullets, I still rarely see blood for several yards after a hit. I cannot explain it and am just really glad they do so much terminal damage as to kill the deer clean when placed in the vitals.

I was quite surprised to see the deer go 150 yards after a devastating double lung shot. Next time i will aim closer to the shoulder to cause more damage, break bones, and further disable and dispatch more quickly.

Next season I may also see how the ‘el cheapo solid lead hollow point bullets shoot out of a crushed rib sabot at 100 yards. I always had good luck with them pancaking and leaving big holes and good blood at ranges less than 100 yards. It may be time for a renaissance and to leave the solid copper and copper jacketed stuff at home.

I may also try the XTPs next year. They have a very similar profile and design as the Federal JHP loaded in my .44 magnum rounds. My daughters knocked both of their deer over at 50 and 100 yards without any trailing required, and that is what i am looking for with my muzzleloader.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CRIA1576

Good luck to you Cy, and don’t expect the blood trails to be that great. Even with the massive, gaping, hollow point on these bullets, I still rarely see blood for several yards after a hit. I cannot explain it and am just really glad they do so much terminal damage as to kill the deer clean when placed in the vitals.

I was quite surprised to see the deer go 150 yards after a devastating double lung shot. Next time i will aim closer to the shoulder to cause more damage, break bones, and further disable and dispatch more quickly.

Next season I may also see how the ‘el cheapo solid lead hollow point bullets shoot out of a crushed rib sabot at 100 yards. I always had good luck with them pancaking and leaving big holes and good blood at ranges less than 100 yards. It may be time for a renaissance and to leave the solid copper and copper jacketed stuff at home.

I may also try the XTPs next year. They have a very similar profile and design as the Federal JHP loaded in my .44 magnum rounds. My daughters knocked both of their deer over at 50 and 100 yards without any trailing required, and that is what i am looking for with my muzzleloader.

I have had mixed results with the XTP myself. Had some good blood trails but had one that didn’t bleed at all. Perfect shot but went in between the ribs. Deer went 100 yards and died zero blood got lucky and walked up on him.

bullhead44bullhead44
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thats all i use is 240 grain xtp out of my 44 mag revolver and 50 cal muzzleloader. No issues thus far and seem to group well for me. Just my 0.2

Anybody actually sitting in this crap cold weather without a blind? I was going to but -20 is about 20* past my limit . Why do i feel like a wimp writing that!?lol

Participant
    Up
    Down

I was not using a blind the other night, and it was cold. However, my feet, hands, and head stayed warm which made it tolerable. My layers included the following in order:-

-One pair light wool socks and disposable toe warmer stuck to bottom of both feet near the ball of my foot (this was critical and my feet never got cold)
    -Old school cotton union suit with butt flap
    -BPS long underwear top/bottom
    -Pair of jeans
    -Legendary whitetails base layer spandex/rayon type shirt
    -Lacrosse Alpha Burly 1600 gram thinsulate 18″ rubber boots
    -Old school “Treebark” camo insulated coveralls from the late 90’s
    -Cabelas “Ten Point” insulated bibs with gore-tex
    -Heavy fleece blaze orange balaclava
    -Old Whitewater Outdoors insulated gore-tex parka
    -Insulated blaze orange North American Whitetails vest
    -Cabelas cold weather glove/mitten system- Insulated shooting gloves inside insulated mittens with zip open shooting finger holes (stuffed chemical hand warmer inside each mitten)

I was able to trudge through the snow and weeds relatively easily even with all these layers, and I never got too warm either.

***EDIT***
    When using the disposable chemical hand warmers, when it is this cold, make sure to unwrap them 30-45 minutes before you hit the field to give them time to warm up. I had about a 30 minute drive to the farm I was hunting and had them unwrapped and laying on the dash getting blasted by the defroster.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.