Home Forums Miscellaneous Food Plot/Habitat Management 1/2 acre food plot

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I planted a food plot last spring I mowed it in the fall and then in the spring of this year. I just mowed it yesterday, the weeds are are kind of taking over, any suggestions to slow the weeds down….

Blocked

Round-Up??? What type of food plot is it????? With no information on what is planted no one can give you any solid info at all? Most food plots are planted in the spring and done in the fall unless it is something like clover or alfalfa.

Participant

No matter what you’re going to be planting in it I’d spray it with round-up and kill everything first. Once all the weeds are dead then work work it up to get all the trash ground up and get ready for planting. We just planted a plot a couple days ago and disked it twice and then ran a drag section over it to level it out.

Participant

What did you plant? 2-4d may be a good choice but it depends on what you planted.

Participant

I misread the post. I thought you were going to plant a food plot this fall and wanted the weeds dead. I don’t know what to tell you on the weed problem. 2-4-d will most likely kill most of what you planted in your food plot along with the weeds. If it was me I’d kill it down with round-up and plant a food plot for fall like turnips or something.

Participant

I mowed it, it seems like that helped. At least the clover is getting some day light.

Here is what I planted:

Red Clover 12.00% 17.36 3.00 Lbs
    White Clover 10.00% 45.91 2.50 Lbs
    Kentucky Bluegrass 16.00% 110.19 4.00 Lbs
    Perennial Ryegrass (Tetraploid) 16.00% 22.04 4.00 Lbs
    Alfalfa 38.00% 43.61 9.50 Lbs
    Dwarf Essex Rape 8.00% 6.61 2.00 Lbs

Would reseeding be a good thing?

Pursuit in the spring????

Participant

Quote by: sonar83

I mowed it, it seems like that helped. At least the clover is getting some day light.

Here is what I planted:

Red Clover 12.00% 17.36 3.00 Lbs
    White Clover 10.00% 45.91 2.50 Lbs
    Kentucky Bluegrass 16.00% 110.19 4.00 Lbs
    Perennial Ryegrass (Tetraploid) 16.00% 22.04 4.00 Lbs
    Alfalfa 38.00% 43.61 9.50 Lbs
    Dwarf Essex Rape 8.00% 6.61 2.00 Lbs

Would reseeding be a good thing?

Pursuit in the spring????

I would be spraying those grasses with clethdium aka grass selective herbicide. Your clover and alfalfa would do alot better without the grass. A better combo is to use winter rye grain as a nurse crop. I have had success by adding ground hog radish, winter rye grain and oats to a clover plot and then mowing it. The cut clover acts as a thatch layer for the seed.

Participant

I think I am going put round up on a hand sprayer and hit the weedy spots and then replant those spots……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.